In 2017 the 50th anniversary of the original ‘summer of love’ in 1967 will be celebrated around the world, and our Summer of Love 50 programme is a series of free community arts events in Burbage.
This is an open invitation to all Burbage groups, clubs, schools, care homes, churches, charities etc to collaborate and share ideas for adding a hippy/flower-power flavour to our parish. We will organise events, displays and exhibitions continually from 1 April to 30 September.
Some examples of sharing might be…
* give one of your meetings or group outings a hippy theme just for fun – perhaps with 60s music playing
* take part as a group in one of our events – for example you could have a kite-making session and bring the kites to the KiteFest in August
* we could come to one of your meetings in April for a Flowers in the Rain welly boot paint and plant
* your group could form a hippy flashmob or street choir
* if you have a public space or communal area you could host a display from our travelling art and craft exhibition
Or you might have your own plans and we could share ideas or collaborate in other ways. We are especially keen to extend coverage to all corners of Burbage Parish.
We’re open to all suggestions as long as they are positive and generally enhance our community and environment (so for example no loud fireworks, balloon releases or sky lanterns).
We’ll be increasing our media presence from January and we expect to be featured in at least one local press article every month from March to October, and to be on local radio at least once during the summer.
If you’re interested please email me. If you are in a group which has a committee please let them know about this invitation.